1. Provide a thorough description of the bill including the sponsor of the bill, committees, latest action, amendments, the number co-sponsors (include the name of the congressman from New Mexico, if applicable) and the reason the bill was presented. 10points
2. Address how the bill relates to advanced practice nursing. For example, practice authority, reimbursement, collaborative practice, NP’s as primary care providers. What are the challenges to getting the bill passed? 15points
3. Address how this bill affects health care in general including cost savings, patient safety, quality, access to care. 20points
4. Find an advanced practice professional organization and explain the purpose of the organization and the APN roles who participate in this organization. What are the benefits of joining this organization? Review their political advocacy portal to find out how they are involved political advocacy. Include the advocacy efforts they are currently engaged in. Are they involved in contacting legislators regarding current advanced practice legislation and specifically the bill you are discussing. What support or resources does the organization have for new members who want to be involved in legislation? How does the organization keep members abreast of upcoming legislation? For example: Sunset of the nurse practice act in your state. 30points
5. Contact your legislator through the “home” office (in your state, not Washington, D.C.) and convey to speak to someone about health-related legislation and tell them the name of the bill you want to discuss. Find out the legislator’s view point on the bill, whether or not they are in support of the bill and why or why not. 30 points
6. What is your viewpoint on the bill? Do you support passage of the bill? Why or why not? How can you as an advanced practice student participate in the passage of the bill? How will passage of the bill influence your practice?