Refection PaperNovember 9, 2019
Benchmark – Professional Capstone And Practicum Reflective JournalNovember 9, 2019
- Write a 5–7-page a comprehensive analysis on an adverse event or near miss from your professional nursing experience. Integrate research and data on the event and use as a basis to propose a quality improvement (QI) initiative in your current organization.
Health care organizations strive for a culture of safety. Yet despite technological advances, quality care initiatives, oversight, ongoing education and training, laws, legislation and regulations, medical errors continue to occur. Some are small and easily remedied with the patient unaware of the infraction. Others can be catastrophic and irreversible, altering the lives of patients and their caregivers and unleashing massive reforms and costly litigation.
- Toggle Drawer Context
The purpose of the report is to assess whether specific quality indicators point to improved patient safety, quality of care, cost and efficiency goals, and other desired metrics. Nurses and other health professionals with specializations and/or interest in the condition, disease, or the selected issue are your target audience.
- Toggle Drawer Questions to Consider
As you prepare to complete this assessment, you may want to think about other related issues to deepen your understanding or broaden your viewpoint. You are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community. Note that these questions are for your own development and exploration and do not need to be completed or submitted as part of your assessment.
- Toggle Drawer Resources
MSN Program Journey
The following is a useful map that will guide you as you continue your MSN program. This map gives you an overview of all the steps required to prepare for your practicum and to complete your degree. It also outlines the support that will be available to you along the way.
- MSN Program Journey | Transcript.
- Show More
- Assessment Instructions
Prepare a comprehensive analysis on an adverse event or near-miss from your professional nursing experience that you or a peer experienced. Integrate research and data on the event and use as a basis to propose a Quality Improvement (QI) initiative in your current organization.
Note: Remember, you can submit all, or a portion of, your draft to Smarthinking for feedback, before you submit the final version of your analysis for this assessment. However, be mindful of the turnaround time for receiving feedback, if you plan on using this free service.
The numbered points below correspond to grading criteria in the scoring guide. The bullets below each grading criterion further delineate tasks to fulfill the assessment requirements. Be sure that your Adverse Event or Near-miss Analysis addresses all of the content below. You may also want to read the scoring guide to better understand the performance levels that relate to each grading criterion.
- Analyze the missed steps or protocol deviations related to an adverse event or near miss.
- Describe how the event resulted from a patient’s medical management rather than from the underlying condition.
- Identify and evaluate the missed steps or protocol deviations that led to the event.
- Discuss the extent to which the incident was preventable.
- Research the impact of the same type of adverse event or near miss in other facilities.
- Analyze the implications of the adverse event or near miss for all stakeholders.
- Evaluate both short-term and long-term effects on the stakeholders (patient, family, interprofessional team, facility, community). Analyze how it was managed and who was involved.
- Analyze the responsibilities and actions of the interprofessional team. Explain what measures should have been taken and identify the responsible parties or roles.
- Describe any change to process or protocol implemented after the incident.
- Evaluate quality improvement technologies related to the event that are required to reduce risk and increase patient safety.
- Analyze the quality improvement technologies that were put in place to increase patient safety and prevent a repeat of similar events.
- Determine whether the technologies are being utilized appropriately.
- Explore how other institutions integrated solutions to prevent these types of events.
- Incorporate relevant metrics of the adverse event or near miss incident to support need for improvement.
- Identify the salient data that is associated with the adverse event or near miss that is generated from the facility’s dashboard. (By dashboard, we mean the data that is generated from the information technology platform that provides integrated operational, financial, clinical, and patient safety data for health care management.)
- Analyze what the relevant metrics show.
- Explain research or data related to the adverse event or near miss that is available outside of your institution. Compare internal data to external data.
- Outline a quality improvement initiative to prevent a future adverse event or near miss.
- Explain how the process or protocol is now managed and monitored in your facility.
- Evaluate how other institutions addressed similar incidents or events.
- Analyze QI initiatives developed to prevent similar incidents, and explain why they are successful. Provide evidence of their success.
- Propose solutions for your selected institution that can be implemented to prevent future adverse events or near-miss incidents.
- Communicate analysis and proposed initiative in a professional and effective manner, writing content clearly and logically with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Integrate relevant sources to support arguments, correctly formatting citations and references using current APA style.
- Submission Requirements
- Length of submission: A minimum of five but no more than seven double-spaced, typed pages.
- Number of references: Cite a minimum of three sources (no older than seven years, unless seminal work) of scholarly or professional evidence that support your evaluation, recommendations, and plans.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Assessment 1 Ex
"Are you looking for this answer? We can Help click Order Now"